Sign in or
Bed-Stuy Farmer's Markets
- Malcolm X Blvd Community Farmer's Market - Malcolm X Blvd between Marion & Chauncey Streets - Saturdays, 8a-1p, July thru November A project of Brooklyn Rescue Mission & Bed-Stuy Farm
- Greenmarket YouthMarket - Lewis & Decatur - Saturdays, 8.30a-3.30p July thru October
- Hattie Carthan Community Market - Lafayette & Clifton - Saturdays
- Weeksville Farmers Market - Bergen between Buffalo & Rochester - Saturdays, 9a-2p July thru October
- Bushwick Farmer's Market (It's at the Bed-Stuy/Bushwick border, so it counts!) - Broadway at Linden (just outside the J train exit at Gates Avenue) - Wednesdays, 10a-6p
- African People's Farmer's Market - 456 Nostrand @ Jefferson - an indoor farmer's market offering organic produce. Limited Hours. Call 718 398 1766 for more information.
- B*SHINE - Bedford-Stuyvesant Helpful Information & News Exchange (List-Serv): "News, Information, People, Personalities and Issues pertaining to Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn."
- Bed-Stuy Gateway: "Online home of the Bed-Stuy Business Gateway and the Fulton-Nostrand Revitalization Project."
- Bed-Stuy Blog: Great news and information on all the happenings and places in Bed-Stuy; written by a CSA member.
- Bed-Stuy YMCA: Community center featuring gym, pool, meeting spaces, and more.
- Bedford-Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation: Community development organization. Offers job training, support for entrepenuers and local businesses, housing programs, artists association, and more.
- Magnolia Tree Earth Center: Develops "the skills and attitudes among Bedford-Stuyvesant residents of all ages that will foster urban beautification, environmental awareness and develop human potential."
- Our Time Press: "Local Paper with a Global View." Covers Bed-Stuy and other parts of Brooklyn.
- Restoration Center for Arts & Culture: "360 degree arts organization, covering all the disciplines and necessities from training to presenting to publishing."
- Shape Up New York: Free, fun fitness programs for the family.
- Shops of Lewis Avenue (SOLA): Information on the shops on Lewis Avenue.
Cooking, Food Culture, and Recipes
- Eat Grub: "Healthy, local, and sustainable food for all." Well curated list of resources, blog, and food fun.
- VegCooking.com: Vegetarian recipes, product info, menus, tips from chefs, and introduction to vegetarian diet.
- VegWeb: Vegetarian recipes.
- SoulVegFolk: an online social networking community of vegetarians, vegans, raw foodies, fruitarians, and veg*n curious folks of Color.
Health and Diet
- Eating Green Project: This interactive educational website helps you "score" your diet and move toward a healthier one.
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM): Promotes preventive medicine, conducts clinical research, and encourages higher standards for ethics and effectiveness in research.
- Eating In, Eating Out, and Eating Well: PDF of 2006 Dept. of Health report on access to healthy food in North and Central Brooklyn.
Sustainable Farming and Food Justice
- Green Edge Collaborative: Brooklyn community-based organization that hosts local events such as "The Supper Club" and the "Eco-Eatery Tour."
- Green Guerillas: "Helping New York City's Community Gardeners Strengthen Their Neighborhoods."
- Just Food: "Works to create a just and sustainable food system in New York City."
- The Meatrix: Education and activism around factory farming.
- Organic Consumers Association: Research and action center for the organic, buy local, and fair trade movements.
- Slow Food NYC: the NYC convivium of the international Slow Food movement, identifies the varied and authentic gustatory and cultural experiences that are unique to our city and preserves and cultivates them through education, activism, and enjoyment.
- Small Planet Institute: "Resource for hope and action." Support global efforts to bring democracy to everyone.
- Sustainable Table: "Celebrates the sustainable food movement, educates consumers on food related issues, and works to build community through food."
- New York City Composting Project: Site for the composting project developed by the NYC Dept. of Sanitation. Introductory info on how to get started composting, how composting works, and links to other resources.
- Compost Green Map of Manhattan: All about composting, its advantages and the composting sites in Manhattan.
- Brooklyn Composting Project:Brooklyn Botanic Garden's Brooklyn Compost Project promotes composting in Brooklyn neighborhoods, community gardens, institutions, and businesses.
Latest page update: made by melissa_danielle
, Jul 24 2009, 12:51 PM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by melissa_danielle
123 words added
123 words deleted
- complete history)
Keyword tags: bed-stuy bedford-stuyvesant community Community Groups Directory links neighborhood other organizations Websites
More Info: links to this page
There are no threads for this page. Be the first to start a new thread.